10/06/2012

A note from Kim...

In regards to winter hardy perennials, I have a book which I highly recommend "Growing Perennials in Cold Climates by Mike Heger & John Whitman.   Mike Heger is considered one of the nation's leading experts on growing perennials in cold climates.  He worked at the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum before founding his own nursery.  John Whitman was a grower at Bachman's.

It is a beautiful book that recommends specific varieties by common and  names, how & when to divide and transplant. It also gives sources for hard to find varieties.   I think it would be helpful to anyone who loves perennials and hates it when they don't survive the winter.

I will try to make it to the meeting on the 11th and bring my copy so people can look at it to decide if they want to add it to their library.I have also included the link to it on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Growing-Perennials-Cold-Climates-Revised/dp/0816675880/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1349553185&sr=1-1&keywords=growing+perennials+in+cold+climates

Regards - Kim McDonald  

No comments:

Post a Comment